Resources for Supporting Election Officials
The California Voter Foundation is collecting and sharing resources to help election officials, their staff, and those who support election administration address threats and risk to safety and the underlying problems that contribute to these threats, including insufficient resources, mis- and disinformation and inadequate legal and law enforcement protections. More resources can also be found in the bibliography excerpted from the California Voter Foundation's report, Documenting and Addressing Harassment of Election Officials.
3 Lessons on Misinformation in the Midterms Spread on Social Media by Maya Kornberg, Mekela Panditharatne, and Ruby Edlin, Brennan Center.
21 More Tips for Telling Our Story Before the November Elections by Pam Fessler, The Elections Group.
- A Digital Resilience Toolkit for Women in Politics #ShePersisted.
Addressing Insider Threats and Protecting Election Officials Colorado’s Example Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs.
- Addressing Insider Threats in Elections Brennan Center for Justice.
- Building a Resiliency Network: A toolkit for building community resilience during a contentious election cycle Over Zero.
Certificate in Election Administration Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs.
- Checklist for combatting election misinformation ElectionTools.org created by The Center for Tech and Civic Life and the Center for Democracy and Technology.
- Civic Language Perceptions Project Philanthropy for Active Civic Engagement.
Closing Security Gaps in Poll Worker Policy by Grace Gordon, Rachel Orey, and Sarah Walker, Bipartisan Policy Center.
- Commission on Information Disorder Aspen Insitute.
Cybersecurity Toolkit to Protect Elections U.S. Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA).
- Department of Justice Public Integrity Unit/Election Crimes Branch and Voting Unit (with information on the DOJ's Election Threats Task Force)
De-Escalation Posters The Elections Group.
De-escalation resources for the 2022 General Election The Elections Group.
- De-escalation tools from Princeton's Bridging Divides Initiative
- Defending Democracy: Protecting Election Officials from Digital Threats The Elections Group.
- Democracy Defended Promotional video from Virginia Department of Elections.
- Deterring Threats to Election Workers by Grace Gordon, David Levine, Christopher Thomas, and Rachael Dean Wilson, Bipartisan Policy Center
- Disinformation Tip Line Common Cause.
- Election Administration at State and Local Levels. National Conference of State Legislatures
- Election Communications Toolkit The Elections Group.
- Election Ethics Legislation Election Reformers Network.
- Election Funding Project California Forward.
- Elections Infrastructure Information Sharing & Analysis Center Center for Internet Security
- Election Infrastructure Initiative, a project of the Center for Tech and Civic Life and Center for Secure and Modern Elections
- Election Integrity Partnership, a project of the Standford Internet Observatory Cyber Policy Center and Center for an Informed Public, University of Washington.
- Election Official Legal Defense Network, a project of the Center for Election Innovation and Research.
- Election Official Security U.S. Election Assistance Commission.
- Elections are Run by the States: A Guide to Statewide Offices and Election Power States United Democracy Center.
- Facebook Community Standards. Meta.
- Faces of Democracy Issue One.
- Fact Sheet: “Constitutional Sheriffs” and Elections Insitute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection and States United Democracy Center.
Fortifying Election Security Through Poll Worker Policy by Grace Gordon and Rachel Orey, Bipartisan Policy Center.
Global Cyber Alliance’s Election Cybersecurity Toolkit Global Cyber Alliance.
Graduate Certificate in Election Administration College of Liberal Arts - Auburn University
How Do I Request a Verified Badge on Facebook? Facebook Help Center.
How Election Officials Are Building Trust and Confirming Election Outcomes National Task Force on Election Crisis.
How Tech and Election Officials Can Protect Elections Online by Collier Fernekes, Katie Harbath, and Maria Bianchi Buck, Bipartisan Policy Center.
- How to Protect Election Workers Brennan Center for Justice.
How To Retain Election Officials To Secure Future Elections by David Levine, Alliance for Securing Democracy.
- Identifying and Minimizing the Risk of Election Subversion and Stolen Elections in the Contemporary United States by Richard L. Hasen, University of California, Irvine School of Law.
Improving the Voting Experience After 2020 by Rachel Orey and Matthew Weil, Bipartisan Policy Center on Elections.
Midterm Monitor Alliance for Securing Democracy and The Brennan Center for Justice.
NASS National Association of Secretaries of State.
NCSL Election Resources National Conference of State Legislatures
Non-Confrontational Techniques for Election Workers Training Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.
On the Frontlines of Today's Cities: Trauma, Challenges and Solutions National League of Cities.
Online Harassment, Digital Abuse, and Cyberstalking in America Data & Society.
Peace at the Polls CA Resources California Voter Foundation.
Playbook for Trusted Elections (September 2022) Citizen Data.
Professional Education Program Election Center: The National Association of Election Officials.
- Protecting Our Democracy’s Frontline Workers U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee August 3, 2022 hearing.
- Running Elections Without Fear: Ensuring Physical Security for Election Personnel The Elections Group.
- Safeguarding Democracy Project UCLA School of Law.
Social Media Monitoring Training Common Cause.
- States that Prohibit Guns in Places Essential to the Exercise of Constitutional Rights Giffords Law Center.
- Strengthening our Elections and Preventing Election Crisis: Lessons and Recommendations from the 2020 General Election National Task Force on Election Crises.
- Taking Care of Yourself to Serve Others: A Well-being Resource Guide for Election Officials The Carter Center.
- Telling Our Story: An Elections Communication Guide by Pam Fessler, The Elections Group.
- The Cost of Conducting Elections by Charles Stewart III, Common Sense American and MIT Election Data and Science Lab.
- The Democracy Fund/Reed College Survey of Local Election Officials Elections & Voting Information Center.
- The Media Manipulation Casebook. Harvard Shorenstein Center.
- The Path of Federal Election Funding by Rachel Orey, Grace Gordon, Michael Thorning, and Matthew Weil, Bipartisan Policy Center.
- Threats to Election Officials: Informational Guide for Law Enforcement States United Democracy Center.
- Understanding Risk-Limiting Audits Verified Voting.
Verifying Elections: Towards Good Practices Amid Social Media-Facilitated Misinformation Election Standards at The Carter Center.
- Voter Education in the Digital Age: Local Election Official Use of Social Media and Webpages During the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election by Mara Suttmann-Lea, SSRC Social Data Research Fellow.
- Wisconsin election officials’ support video by Diane Bezucha, Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Zero Trust: How to Secure American Elections When the Losers Won’t Accept They Lost by Mathew Masterson, Jennifer DePew, Katie Johnson, Shelby Perkind, and Alex Zaheer, Stanford Internet Observatory. 2021.