Superintendent of Public Instruction
The schools' chief
* elected for 4 years
* runs the Department of Education
* oversees what state public schools teach and how they test
* as a non-partisan office, represents education needs in government
* Age: 46
* Lives in Sacramento
"I've been California's first cabinet secretary for Child Development &
Education and president of the CA School Boards Association and Orange
County School Board. I designed the Governor's Healthy Start program. I
am mother of two children who have graduated from public schools."
* Improve classroom instruction through parental involvement, quality
teachers, technology and up to date textbooks.
* Mandatory reporting to law enforcement for guns and drugs on campus.
* Cut Sacramento's bureaucratic stranglehold on schools; return control
to the local level.
* Age: 47
* Lives in Fremont
"As a former teacher and businesswoman, I know what changes our schools
need. As a legislator and chairwoman of the state assembly education
committee, I know how to accomplish those changes. I have made
California's children my first priority by writing laws that improve our
* Include parents in decisions on how to educate their children.
* Build programs that prepare high schools students for work, whether
they plan to go to college or straight to work.
* Increase student access to computers and other classroom technology.
return to the Easy Reader Voter Guide main page
return to the 1994 Online Voter Guide main page
The material included in this voter guide is archived and will not be updated. Please visit the California Voter Foundation's homepage for the most current information and resources.
© California Voter Foundation 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 & 1998