The state's bookkeeper
* elected for 4 years
* acts as the accountant and bookkeeper for the state, keeping
track of how money is spent
* issues most checks from the state
* does audits or reviews of state operations
* serves on 60 boards and commissions
KATHLEEN CONNELL - Democrat
* Age: 46
* Lives in Los Angeles
"I am a successful businesswoman, a teacher at UCLA and Berkeley, a
former vice-president of one of the nation's largest banks, and former
Director of Housing for the City of Los Angeles."
* Rebuild California with an effective jobs creation policy.
* Root out waste and fraud in state government with a tough audit program.
* Save taxpayer's dollars by moving California toward performance-based
TOM MCCLINTOCK - Republican
* Age: 38
* Lives in Rocklin
"I have been fighting against government waste and taxes for over twelve
years, as an assemblyman and the leader of an anti-tax organization. The
Controller is designed to be the taxpayer's watchdog. I will be a
watchdog with a bite."
* Make California tax policy more business friendly so jobs will be created.
* Audit state government agencies to get rid of waste and fraud.
* Use the Controller's office to propose reforms that will help
California get out of debt.
return to the Easy Reader Voter Guide main page
return to the 1994 Online Voter Guide main page
The material included in this voter guide is archived and will not be updated. Please visit the California Voter Foundation's homepage for the most current information and resources.
© California Voter Foundation 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 & 1998